Jonathan Hooper

Jonathan Hooper

Jonathan's Experimentations with Creating Blogger Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Language is Art

Language is Art

When it comes to selecting reading materials for ESL students, I feel that there are many factors to consider. I think that the vocabulary should be appropriate for the student's ability. If the student is very new to English, a higher focus on BISC would be more appropriate. The use of natural dialogue would be more fitting than primarily academic language. Nonfiction materials must be scrutinized heavily for students new to English because of the amount of difficult vocabulary.

Additionally, illustrations are very important to the ESL reader. With native speakers, illustrations are important to keep the young reader's attention. However, illustrations serve an additional purpose to the ESL student. Illustrations play a major role with comprehension. Illustrations should be chosen that help the ESL student the actions that are occurring in the story. Additionally, illustrations that feature objects are appealing to allow for teachable moments during lessons.

Promoting literacy is very important for any learner. Parental involvement is key to the success of any learner. I feel that parents should be guided so that they can help their children learn. With ESL students, parents will need extra help promoting literacy at home. The importance of literacy does not apply to only L2. If parents are unable to help with L2 literacy, they can help the student maintain/extend L1 literacy. If the parents show that books and reading are important at home, then the student will extend that attitude into the school.

It is also important to mention that not all books are good books. Even though you can get a book on the bargain table at a bookstore, it doesn't make it good enough to have in your classroom. It is important to find a reason why you have the books in your classroom library. If it is because of the vocabulary, illustrations, content? The answer should not be "because the book was on sale." I know that when I choose children's literature at a bookstore, I sit down and read part or all of the book. I am looking for books that have key vocabulary, meaningful illustrations, or key concepts. I look for books that make me see that language is art.

What makes you choose books for your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. Very thought-provoking post! Nice touch to end with a question. Nice work!

    P.S. (BICS, not BISC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! Thanks!

    I'm on an eating healthy and workout kick - maybe I was subconsciously thinking BISCuit with butter and a generous helping of grape jelly! =P

    - Jonathan Hooper

    ReplyDelete